Some suggestion about Tactics mode.

Post your suggestions of plugin improvements here. All suggestions are much appreciated.
Idochesswork

Some suggestion about Tactics mode.

Post by Idochesswork » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:48 pm

Hi Alf, thank you for this wonderful plugin. Here are some of my Suggest Improvements, hope they can help

1. an option to reveal the analysis, with variation pgn after finishing a tactics. There are some problem that have multi variations, and maybe the user would need an explanation why the chosen move is the best.

[Event "?"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2017.03.08"]
[Round "?"]
[White "charles"]
[Black "5 moves"]
[Result "*"]
[SetUp "1"]
[FEN "8/6R1/7p/5K1k/8/6p1/5bP1/8 w - - 0 1"]
[PlyCount "9"]

1. Rb7 Bc5 (1... Be3 {the defensive side may try this move. But it would not change any things} 2. Rb1 Bg5 3. Rh1+ Bh4 4. Rh2 gxh2 5. g4#) (1... Bg1 2. Rb1 Bh2 3. Re1 Kh4 4. Kg6 Bg1 (4... Kg4 5. Re4#) 5. Re4#) 2. Rb1 Be7 3. Rh1+
Bh4 4. Rh2 gxh2 5. g4# *

For example, after present this tactics, I need it show the pgn analysis jsut like template 2 or template 5. Do you think that it would be a good option to add to the plugin?

2. tactics can be used in the shortcode [pgn]:
In some post, I just need to present a single tactics, so I think it is better to have an option to use tactics inside the pgn shortcode right away, not need to look up in the database. For example:
[pgn tactics="1" theme="wood1"]
<pgn string>
[/pgn]

3. The function of having computer playing the tactics as a defender, without showing the dialog to choose it elo.
I have this idea because in our real life chess game, there comes a situation we would see both variations are good. We can choose any way to win, no need to try hard to think which is the best one. Check mate in 2 or in 5 just bring the same result, isn't it? So, with this kind of training, player would try to win in given position, can play whatever move to have an advantage (different from just be able to play a move that indicate in pgn file). The AI is just need to be 1600 - 1700 - a reasonable strength to choose a reasonable move in short time. Maybe, it would have a shortcode like this:

[fen tactics="1" comp="1" compAI="1600" goal="2.3"]<fen string>[/fen]

It mean, we have a tactics with the given fen. Computer would react after player have made a move. Computer elo = 1600. The tactics is finished when player achieve at least 2.3 points in material (based on AI evaluation)

Or it can be:

[chess tactics="1" db="5" comp="1" compAI="1600"]

and when player has achieved 1.0 point, the automatic comment would appear: "Good, you are having an edge"
when player has acchived 2.0 to 3.0 point, the automatic comment would appear:"Excellent, you are having a clear advantage."
when player has acchived above 3.0 point, the automatic comment would appear: "Well done. You are winning. Try other tactics"
If player made a blunder move, the automatic comment would appear: "No, you are about to sacrifice yourself. Better try again!

With this idea, I think you may need an another tactics template, which replace the button "hint" and "solution" with "redo" and "evaluate for me"

Again, thank you Alf.

alf
Site Admin

Re: Some suggestion about Tactics mode.

Post by alf » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:41 pm

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it :)

Lot of things to think about here. I especially like the pgn with tactics shortcode. That's a very good idea.

I will give the other ones some thoughts as well. I want to make the plugin as generic as possible. The question is: How can I make it customisable, so that you can get what you want without me having to create a template for it :)

uyasar

Post by uyasar » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:28 pm

I agree with the "single tactic" part. Sometimes I may want to show a single tactic problem in a post but as far as i see, there is no way doing it currently.

alf
Site Admin

Post by alf » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:05 pm

Thank you both :)

The pgn tactics feature has been implemented in the latest version released today(version 1.0.38).

For more info, see https://wordpresschess.com/tactics-usin ... shortcode/

Idochesswork

Post by Idochesswork » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:25 am

Hi alf,

I think that it's need have a template for single tactics that has the hint and solution buttons, just like tactics for database. Or can you add an attribute to call out the buttons?
Because not every tactics is easy enough for user to solve without a hint. And thing would be more complicated when we talk about positional problem (not an instant tactics). I try [pgn tactics="1"] and [chess game id tactics="1"] and get the same result: a plain board without button :D

Thank you alf,

Idochesswork

Post by Idochesswork » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:14 pm

I tried one manually way to show the single tactics:
Install a shortcode plugin that has a function to generate tab. Put the tactics problem on tab 1, and the solution/comment/feedback on tab 2, and maybe a full pgn of a single game on tab 3. (so 3 differents pgn files). It seem that everything did not work as I expected. :( The tab 2 and tab 3 just didn't load.

http://prntscr.com/ffgwrf
http://prntscr.com/ffgx0f
http://prntscr.com/ffgxam

Here is the shortcode that I tried to use: http://www.wpexplorer.com/symple-shortcodes/
Maybe there would be a better alternative way? :)
Warm regards

Idochesswork

Post by Idochesswork » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:55 pm

Update: I tried many shortcode that generated tabs, and finally found one that work perfectly: angie makes shortcodes plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wc-shortcodes/

It work perfectly to me, however, some decrease in page load speed :-s